About Robert Holleyman
As President and CEO of BSA | The Software Alliance from 1990 until April 2013, Robert Holleyman long served as the chief advocate for the global software industry. Before leaving BSA to start his own venture, Cloud4Growth, Holleyman led the most successful anti-piracy program in the history of any industry, driving down software piracy rates in markets around the world.
Named one of the 50 most influential people in the intellectual property world, he was instrumental in putting into place the global policy framework that today protects software under copyright law. A widely respected champion for open markets, Holleyman also was appointed by President Barack Obama to serve on the President’s Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations, the principal advisory committee for the US government on trade matters.
Holleyman was a leader in industry efforts to establish the legal framework necessary for cloud-computing technologies to flourish. He was an early proponent for policies that promote deployment of security technologies to build public trust and confidence in cyberspace. And he created a highly regarded series of forums for industry executives and policymakers to exchange points of view and forge agreements on the best ways to spur technology advances and promote economic growth.
Before heading BSA, Holleyman was a counselor and legislative adviser in the United States Senate, an attorney in private practice, and a judicial clerk in US District Court. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, a J.D. from Louisiana State University, and has completed the Stanford Executive Program at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Posts by Robert Holleyman
- Securing the Benefits of Software Innovation and Growth, 30 Apr 2013 in Cloud Computing&Global Markets&Industry
- The Power of Innovative Ideas, 25 Apr 2013 in Intellectual Property
- TPP, ISA and the Cloud, 14 Mar 2013 in Cloud Computing&Global Markets
- The 2013 BSA Global Cloud Computing Scorecard: A Clear Path to Progress, 07 Mar 2013 in Cloud Computing
- Clear Thinking on Software Patents, 22 Feb 2013 in Industry&Intellectual Property
- A New Trade Agreement for a New Era of Digital Services, 29 Jan 2013 in Cloud Computing&Global Markets
- Inflection Points for Washington and the Software Industry, 28 Nov 2012 in Cloud Computing&Global Markets&Intellectual Property
- Kappos Offers Fact-Driven Analysis of the Software Patent System, 20 Nov 2012 in Intellectual Property
- Three Ways the Administration and 113th Congress Can Accelerate the Digital Economy to Achieve Election Goals, 07 Nov 2012 in Cloud Computing&Global Markets&Intellectual Property
- An IPR Strategy to Keep India’s Innovative Economy Moving Forward, 02 Nov 2012 in Global Markets&Intellectual Property